Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Past Two Weeks...

After spending exactly 2 weeks in the countryside, getting back to bustling city was quite nice. It was really a successful trip. The house is complete and we managed to get 6 people to the hospital in the closest city for their various problems. And on top of all that, I developed relationships with people that I will cherish forever and experienced a part of Cambodia that most people will never see. We stayed the whole 2 weeks on a farm about 15 minutes from the village. Our boss at CIACC owns the farm and her sister and husband live there and look after it. Bucket showers with well water...no electricity...wood platform for a bed (mine was outside, yay for being the boy. Vishnu got to sleep inside)...rooster for an alarm clock at damn 5AM every morning...and rice at every meal of the day. At about day 4 I was ready to die. But, then I got over it. Haha. This country is full of the kindest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and the countryside is no exception.
It took a couple days to purchase all the supplies we needed for the house before we could start building. Slow and frustrating start, to say the least. We hired men from the village to build the house. We did this because it meant a source of income for them and it also builds a sense of community. Mr. Yan and his wife came home knowing that their neighbors built the house for them. This is so important. Cambodian politics are a BIG issue and the village is divided with villagers supporting different parties. If they can't look past that and come together to help each other, their village will never develop.
Every morning started with coffee and rice and then we hopped on our borrowed motobike and headed to the village (with a quick stop for fried bananas..for the workers, of course ;). The whole house was built by the hands of 3 workers and some help from me as well. It's amazing. They have no machinery. Just hand saws, axes, and hammers. The fact that I'm almost 6'2" did come in handy several times, though. :)
Okay switching subjects. Almost all of the villagers have health problems. Malnourishment and dirty living conditions cause this. And more so the water. So, we decided that we would offer to take a few villagers at a time to the closest hospital (an hour and a half away). Our first visit with 3 women went well. They all had blood tests done and got the medications they needed and advice from the doctors. The following day we decided to just go on a drive through the village and take some pictures and video. It is quite large and spread out. We made a stop at a house with a well and were greeted by the woman who lived there. When the villagers that don't know us, see us, they immediately think money...food..help. She insisted we follow her to another house (no translator with us anymore). We went and walked into a home maybe half the size of my bedroom, which is the home to a husband and wife and their 7 kids. 2 of the 7 kids were 8 day old twins. One twin had 11 fingers and a liquid-filled ball attached to one hand. The mother is extremely malnourished with no breast milk and the condition of their home is no place for a new born. We immediately arranged for her to come to the hospital with us the following morning. It was quite nerve racking and intense. The mother could take a bus to the city but we then had to put her on a motobike with 2 babies to get to the hospital. I couldn't even watch as we drove to the hospital. The hospital told us that the babies were too small to be operated on and she had to go to the children's hospital in Siem Reap (3 hours away). So, we had to separate. I took one twin back with me to the village and Vishnu took the mother and the twin with the problems to Siem Reap.
So, fast forward because this too long....the baby had his operation and is now back home a week later. I purchased $25 worth of formula at the market for them. Between other mothers giving their breast milk to the mom and the formula, the babies should be set for a while.

I'm going to try to put into words this feeling I get like almost every day here. It happens at random times, in random situations, but my eyes kind of go outside my head and I look at what's happening and it's like..woah..I'm here, in Cambodia, in this moment. I don't know. This experience isn't an organized, planned volunteer experience. The work we (and when I say we I mean Vishnu and I...) do here and the size of the difference we make is up to us. There's no organization sending us somewhere or planning for us. We ride in local vans to save money and get looks like "uhhh did you miss the big air conditioned bus?" Haha. We call NGO's and set up meetings to share what we know. We spent 2 weeks in the middle of no where with no translator. We personally take responsibility for these people we are helping and will keep doing everything we can. I don't know...it's just a weird, cool, awesome feeling that I get.

Anyway, we are going back to the village tomorrow and are taking donated clothes from volunteers and some medicines and stuff. It's Vishnu's last week here and she wants to say good bye. There is no other volunteer working on Human Rights with us here, so I'm going to be alone. And yep, I'm nervous about it.

I have this "Sponsor A Family" idea where someone can choose to sponsor a family from the village and will get pictures of them and names, etc. and can send me the amount of money they choose each month for the last 3 months I'm here and I will use it to purchase things the family needs. Non-perishable food, clothes, hygiene products, etc. I'll give the family a picture of the person sponsoring them and will take pics every time I make a delivery to them for the sponsor to see.

If anyone is interested in sponsoring a family, let me know.

This post could go on for days, but I'm going to stop here.

Thanks to everyone for keeping up with my journey and keeping me in your thoughts. Much, much appreciated!!

Here are some pics. The first few pics are with my new adopted little brothers. I can pretend anyway. Or maybe they adopted me. Even in the depressing moments when things weren't going right or we found sick people, they were able to cheer me up real quick. 


1 comment:

  1. Let me start my saying I am so happy that you get to experience such an amazing place like this! I am so proud of you and all that you are onvolving yourself in. Your posts are truly inspiring and I wish to god there were more people like you in this world! Keep your head up, and the last leg of your trip will be fine, though I can't blame ya' for being nervous after Vishnu leaves. ;) I am interested in sponsoring a family. Just let me know what's up...

    Let me know if you need anytthing buddy,

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete