Wednesday, December 12, 2012

T-Minus 15 Days

This extra month is flying by too fast. I've been pretty busy. I went to Angkor Wat, finally!! It was so beautiful and a really fun trip. I went with 4 of my Khmer friends and they knew all the best spots.

Like I mentioned in my last post, I talked with CVF, the organization I live with, and have been "staff" now for a few weeks. It's a lot of fun. I really enjoy helping out and I am the first foreigner to do it. They seem to really appreciate my input. Helping make things more professional. Now for airport pick ups and city tours we have CVF t-shirts that the staff wears. Also, every 2 weeks when new volunteers come in certain staff members are assigned to visit certain placements to make sure volunteers are going okay.

I entered that video from the last post into a video competition and we won the month of November, meaning $100! I am using it on something here, I just haven't decided on what yet. Winning November means we are up for the year contest, and could win $500. If you would like to vote for the video, it would be greatly appreciated! You can vote once a week with as many e-mails as you have. Here's the link:
 http://www.volunteerhq.org/volunteer-video-competition/61325


I've got 15 days left and have so much to do!! 28 new volunteers arrive starting today so from now till next Wednesday I will be so busy! Airport pick ups, orientation, city tour, welcome dinner, taking volunteers to Pursat...a lot goes into this stuff!
 After that some CVF staff and I are taking a trip up north to Mundulkiri to do an eco tour. Elephants, waterfalls, nature! Woohoo!
And thennnnn after that I need to make a day trip back to the village to give them some left over kids stuff I have that I brought from US (thanks Granny). 
And somewhere in there my friends want to go to Sihanoukville (the beach town) for my birthday. Not sure how I can make it happen. 
Oh! And for Christmas we are doing Secret Santa!

That's all I can think of for now...Thanks to all who have kept up with me on this awesome journey. It is insane how life throws curve balls and teaches you so much. 10 months ago I had no idea I would be here. Just in the car on the way home from Atlanta the idea came to me and then 2 months later I was boarding a plane. So much has changed in my my mind since then. The person I want to be here on out and the things I want to do! It's been an experience that I will keep forever.

I already have plans to make it back here for my summer break and continue interning with CVF. The guys here have become as good as brothers to me. How could I come home and not come back. The next 6 months will be the true test to see if I can discipline myself to focus on school, save money, and not go back to my old habits. I think my desire to be back here again will be strong enough. 

Anyway, like I said, thanks so much to all of you for keeping up and helping me to get here.

Much love!!!!
-Daniel
 

No comments:

Post a Comment