Thursday, August 2, 2012

I Made It

Hey guys! So, although I know many of you professionally, I'm going to keep this blog somewhat informal. I like it better that way. I was expecting 26 hours of travel and an 11 hour time difference to almost be the death of me. Surprisingly, I am doing just fine! The Korean airport was awesome. I ate at this little restaurant in the airport that had only Korean food (I skipped over the Burger King and KFC. I mean I can get that home, c'mon). The food I got was like a fancy bowl of Ramen. Haha. Much more delicious, with some veggies and a hard boiled egg.
When I landed in Phnom Penh it reminded me much of the airport in Haiti. CHAOS (outside the doors, after baggage claim). Many families awaiting the arrival of loved ones.
The volunteer house here is pretty sweet. It is 5 stories high with the kitchen and dining room and WiFi on the 1st floor. My bedroom is on the 4th floor. As soon as I got to the house at almost midnight some of the other volunteers invited me to go get some fried rice and hang out. We went to this place almost the equivalent of a hot dog stand but with rice and noodles and chairs behind it. Yummm. Better than any vegetable fried rice I've had at home AND it was only $1.50. Everything is so cheap here.
My first night of sleep went better than expected as well. No AC but the buildings are very open and there is a fan on the wall. I was totally fine.
My roommate flies in today. His name is Todd. He is only here till the end of August, though. All the other volunteers are very nice. There is only one from America. Several from Australia and one girl from Mexico. I believe several more will be arriving soon, because the twice-a-month orientation is on Monday.
Today I'm headed to S21 with Kit and Maria. It is a place that was once a high school, but the Khmer Rogue turned it into a torture and execution facility where almost 14,000 people died. Very depressing for my first venture out, but they tell me that I will learn a lot about Cambodia's history from this place.

Alright my friends,

Much love and talk to ya soon.

Daniel

2 comments: